Universal Pictures and the filmmakers behind the planned N.W.A. biopic “Straight Outta Compton” are distancing themselves from an offensive casting announcement for the film.
The company said in a statement late Thursday that “the filmmakers … did not approve and do not condone the information in this casting notice. We regret and sincerely apologize for being in any way associated with the offensive descriptions it contained.”
Sande Alessi Casting posted an open call earlier this week that sought women in four categories. “A girls” were described as “the hottest of the hottest” and could be of any ethnicity. “B girls” were to be “light-skinned,” whereas “D girls” were “African-American… Poor, not in good shape. Medium to dark skin tone.”
Gawker quoted the “racist” casting call in an article Thursday. The casting company has since removed the announcement from its Facebook page.
A woman who answered the phone at Sande Alessi Casting on Thursday declined comment and would not identify herself.
Universal has not said if it is still working with the casting company. The Sande Alessi Casting website shows it is still inviting African-American men and women to audition as extras for “Straight Outta Compton” at an open call later this month.
The film is set to show the early days of the seminal hip-hop group, whose members include Ice Cube (played by the rapper’s son O’Shea Jackson Jr.), Eazy-E (Jason Mitchell) and Dr. Dre (Corey Hawkins). Nominated twice for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, N.W.A.’s notable songs include “Gangsta Gangsta,” top 10 rap hit “Express Yourself,” and the controversial “F— tha Police.”
“Straight Outta Compton” is scheduled to be released in theaters Aug. 14, 2015.